The lemonade diet is a detoxification program written by the late Stanley Burroughs. The diet – called the “The Master Cleanser” was written in the 1940s and continues to be popular to this day. The current version was published in 1976 and is simply a 50 page booklet outlining the diet.
The Master Cleanser
This dietary regime is strictly a cleansing diet. Weight loss will occur, but it is not to be equated with fat loss. Much of the weight that is lost will be from fluid and water retention. Indeed, the book states that at least 1/2 the weight will come back on after completing the diet. Many people incorrectly use this for fast weight loss. This is not what the diet is intended for.
The Lemonade diet is
now available as an audio CD
Detox diets such as the lemonade diet are not for the faint-hearted. They are difficult to follow – typically because we are so addicted to food. People experience varying degrees of success as their body begins to flush itself of toxins – but the first few days are hardest. Some only use the lemonade diet for 4-5 days, while others take it out to 2 weeks.
People report an enormous number of health benefits – relief of arthritic symptoms, infections, pain, gout, and many more.
A typical herbal detox will do the following:
- Dissolves and eliminates toxins that have formed in any part of the body
- Cleanse kidneys and digestive system
- Purifies the glands and cells
- Eliminate waste and hardened material in joints and muscles
- Relieves pressure and irritation in nerves, arteries and blood vessels
Lemonade Diet Sample
- 60 oz spring water per day (spread over 6 10 oz glasses)
- 12 tablespoons Organic Grade B Maple Syrup (or 2 tbsp. per glass)
- 12 tablespoons freshly squeezed organic lemon juice (or 2 tbsp. per glass)
- a little over half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper (or 1/10 tsp. per glass) or to taste
The only other foods consumed is a laxative tea (“Smooth Move”) twice a day, and a saline (sea salt) wash. The laxative may be required due to the lack of fiber in the diet that may lead to constipation.
Breaking the Fast
This must be done gently, by easing your way back into solid food. Vegetable soup is a good starter, and fruits and vegetables shouldn’t be started until the second day out of the juice fast.
Before doing the lemonade diet, Stanley Burroughs book (see below) is a must-read.
The Master Cleanser – by Stanley Burroughs.